The information, documents, and downloads below comprise the “School Board Election Kit” as published by the New Jersey School Boards Association. Candidates for school board office are encouraged to review all the content on this page.
A full term for a board member consists of three years. In the event of a vacancy of a board seat, the board will appoint a qualified representative from the community to fill the vacancy until the next school election.
To become a member of a local board of education in New Jersey you must:
- Be able to read and write
- Hold U.S. citizenship and one year’s residency in the school district
- Have no interest in any contract with, or claim against, the board
- Not hold office as mayor or member of the municipal governing body
- Be registered to vote and not be disqualified as a voter under N.J.S.A. 19:4-1
- All candidates for school board office must comply with the provisions of the New Jersey Campaign Contributions and Expenditures Reporting Act. For further information, contact the Election Law Enforcement Commission (ELEC).
Toll free: 1-888-313-3532